Monday, March 15, 2010

Out with the Old!

With the new year, Geoffrey and I decided that each weekend we would try to accomplish one "home project". Our projects have included organizing our closet, cleaning the garage, moving furniture, and cleaning carpets. I am constantly trying to find ways to organize the living room space to make it safer for the kids, cleaner for me, and effective for the needs of my day care.

Geoffrey let me buy this cubby shelf and organizing cloth buckets for the kids' toys. If you look a little closer you may notice that we even painted our "half-wall" a shade called honey butter. I have been hesitant about painting or decorating because the decisions feel permanent to me. However, with kiddos, the walls have been scuffed, marked, and damaged. I've decided to bite the bullet and with just a little drywall putty and paint, I feel the living room has a whole new feel!

We have just under 3 months until our baby boy arrives and I am looking forward to continued decorating, organizing, and down-sizing.

Next on the list: prepping our bedroom for the baby and sorting through Eli's "old clothes". Geoffrey and I have a deal...for everything that comes into the house as a new purchase, something must leave the house, too. This is a fair deal and just the first step to minimizing our worldly possessions.

What ideas do you have about organizing or minimizing your possessions???



3 comments:

Lela Paden said...

I just went to get a few of these organizers at Fred's this morning. But because they were not on sale I didn't get them. I want 2 small ones for shoes and books. And a big one for toys and such. As far as getting organized I AM NOT!!! This is something I need to work on.

Olivia Orsborn said...

I have a hard time keeping up on this! We have such a small place, with hardly any storage, in fact, I'll probably post on this at some time... I'm constantly going thru things and donnating or freecycling!

Bill and Amanda said...

Just so you know, I totally hadn't seen your blog when we came over tonight. And as for the getting rid of stuff - I'm with you! We should join forces after we get back from our trips.