Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Walking!!!


For the past 2 months, Elijah has been "practicing" his walking. Geoffrey and I have been urging him, clearing a path, and waiting for him to take off. It is only in just the past week that he is doing this unprompted. As a parent, it is easy to push our children into doing things that they may not be ready for. I have been pushing Elijah to walk and when I did he'd reject my attempts. As I let go of the control I was seeking and grew in patience, Eli became more willing to walk and enjoyed the results of his success.

I think that my walk with God is similar. When I feel I am being pushed, I bolt, I fight back, I defend myself, I even crawl away. But when I let go of the control I seek to have, I begin to walk in joy, patience, and love. I may stumble, I may turn away, but when I reach for God's hand, He is there. I plan to be there for Eli, too. More importantly, I pray that Eli will reach for God's hand and walk with Him in his ways.


6 comments:

Lela Paden said...

Just keep walking.... He will be there always to catch us. Love your and thanks for your post it brought me back to the present and helped me rely on God. Love you

Patty said...

Hurray! I knew he was ultra talented.

Papa John said...

Papa John is impressed and plenty pleased at Eli's new talent. I bet he'll become a drum major or a climber of mighty mountains or a marathon champion. Anything is fine as long as he marches and climbs and runs with God. Right?
I'm also impressed and delighted with the quality and consistency of love expressed in the parenting Eli enjoys. Now there is a God given gift which will yield great rewards for everyone.

Bill and Amanda said...

This is a very touching post. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

Beautiful thoughts.
He's doing great with his walking. I was really impressed with his balance while trying to bend over and pick up that chime-y toy.

Janet said...

Dana, great thoughts of lessons we learn from our kids on how God wants us also to learn from Him. You are a very mature Christian. I love you and what you contribute to all of us around you.
Janet