Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Broken Tooth=Broken Mommy & Daddy

Today was a beautiful day, the snow was falling, the kids were happy, and I had a brief respite from morning sickness. I decided that we could all use a little fresh air so I bundled up the kids and we went outside.



Eli and Genevieve spent a lot of time exploring the snow, tasting the frosty treat, and falling all over the ice! We had about 20 minutes of fun in the yard and then took a walk to the playground. Eli is no stranger to the playground and he made a dash for the slide. As I helped Genevieve get to her feet, I looked over and saw that Eli was nearly to the slide. I called to him, he didn't look back, so I started towards him. As I did so, he started to fall and hit his face/mouth on the metal steps of the slide.

The poor guy was screaming by the time I reached him (it was only seconds, but felt like a life time) and when I picked him up he was covered in blood. I gently lifted his upper lip and saw what looked to be his two front teeth and gums detached and bleeding. I picked up Genevieve and ran to the neighbor's house who began calling places to determine if we needed to go the the dentist or the emergency room. By the time Geoffrey arrived, one tooth had come out completely so we ended up with a dentist.



Eli cried most of the way there, although I believe it was because he wanted his daddy to sit next to him. The doctor took a peak around his mouth and looked at his tooth and determined that not much could be done right now. Eli's gums are ripped up to his lip but no stitches were necessary. His other front tooth is pushed up into his gums. We will return to the dentist next week, but are praying that the second injured tooth will remain and hold strong in his mouth.


This was actually Eli's first tooth to come in. It is also the first tooth he lost (root and all).


Eli's new toothless grin. Get used to it--it may be like this for the next 5 or 6 years.





7 comments:

Roni said...

Nana loves him just as much as ever (and his mommy and daddy too!). This is likely the first of many "mishaps" the lil guy will have. Big hugs to you all! I will pray his permanant tooth is not damaged and that we'll see it in 5 years or so!

Patty said...

Can you say tooth fairy?

Papa John said...

Mommy and Daddy may be broken hearted at Eli's "Owie", but they are not broken. In fact, they are stronger than ever in managing crisis and providing comfort to their little one. Of such shared experiences comes a tight and enduring family bond. There remains so much to be thankful for... The wound was not worse. Mom was right at hand to provide immediate care. A neighbor was available, as were professionals. Dad arrived within minutes. God was present and many prayers already offered in months and years past kicked into effect. It was a bit tragic, but all in all, not so bad after all. Hallelujah!

Rachel said...

Oh, Dana. I'm so sorry. I know exactly how you must feel. Carly was 15 months when she needed three stitches right smack dab in the middle of her forehead. I had such a sinking feeling in my heart--practically sick to my stomach. But as I learned, time will heal Eli and it will heal a parent's heart ache as well. Just remember that you did all you could do. I know you did. So glad you're neighbor was there to help. You guys really do have some great neighbors.
On the positive side, at least it has the likelihood of only being noticeable for a few years. Rather than a scar that can last a lifetime. I'm definitely praying for you guys. Love you all!

Bill and Amanda said...

Okay, this story makes me very nervous about Marie now. Do you know of any place that sales mouth guards for infants?

Lela Paden said...

Broken Tooth = Love from friends and family. I know what you are going through. I felt the same when Justus had his tooth pulled. It does get easier with time. And I am thankful that they get two sets of teeth. We need to have Eli and Justus get their pictures taken together. Love to you my friend.

Lela Paden said...

wow that almost made me cry it hurt me=D poor baby but its part of life.... trust me i might not have had a whole tooth fall out but i had half of one... sorry wyatts but he looks really cute with one missing tooth=D
love you all
katie